What is a smart thermostat?
Smart thermostats enable you to monitor and operate your HVAC system using an internet-connected device like a smartphone or computer. Whether you’re out for the day or even on the other side of the world, you have complete control over your system, including its temperature, operating hours, and more. In some instances, a smart thermostat can work with other smart HVAC equipment to turn on and off based on movement, activity, and time of day.
Why should I use a smart thermostat?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates homeowners can save around $180 a year using just a programmable thermostat. With the right system maintenance and a fully smart thermostat, there are even more significant benefits for both the long and short term, which include:
Learning and Adapting
- Ability to track the weather using local weather reports, so if your device detects an approaching cold or warm front, it can adjust your system’s temperature.
- Energy profiles that track your home’s energy usage over time. With these profiles, you can forecast how your energy costs will change in the future and adjust your temperature preferences accordingly.
- Built-in learning software, and movement sensors on some models, allow the smart thermostat to understand what time of day you’re usually home or most active and offer suggestions on a heating-cooling schedule.
Ease of Use
- Compatibility with AI virtual assistant technology means you can control your thermostat settings by voice command.
- Integration with other Wi-Fi-enabled smart home devices, such as ceiling fans or humidifiers, allows you to control them via the smart thermostat when using compatible software.
- User-friendly interface which makes it easy to view, control and understand the thermostat settings—gone are the days of squinting at a tiny LCD monitor or accidentally pressing the wrong button.
- Remote operation via apps means you can control your thermostat from anywhere in the world, using a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Ultimately, the smart thermostat’s learning and adapting features translate to increased comfort, energy efficiency, and peace of mind. The ease of use means that you can integrate your smart thermostat like any other smart technology in your home, like your phone or Alexa/Google devices.
How do I install a smart thermostat?
If you have DIY experience, smart thermostat installation is usually a straightforward process and takes less than an hour. The key steps for installing a smart thermostat are:
- Turn off the power to your HVAC equipment at the breaker panel.
- Remove the faceplate of the old thermostat and unscrew the back plate from the wall.
- Add a C-wire (if your system doesn’t already have one).
- Use the smart thermostat's back plate as a template to mark out the screw holes.
- Follow the wiring diagram supplied with your new thermostat and reconnect the wires.
- Mount the smart thermostat faceplate to the back plate.
- Connect it to your home Wi-Fi network and install the apps to any smart devices you plan to use with your smart thermostat.
If you have any doubts or concerns about your DIY capabilities, then we strongly recommend you hire a contractor.
Getting a professional to install a smart thermostat
It’s always a good idea to call a professional to install a thermostat. They will have the knowledge, training and experience necessary to work with your equipment and set it up optimally, plus troubleshoot any problems.
If you’re looking to evaluate HVAC service contract providers, we recommend starting with our Questions to Ask Your HVAC Company guide.
If you’re in the Denver metro area, you can call Ultimate Heating & Cooling.
To arrange for one of our team members to install your smart thermostat, follow these steps:
- Fill out the form or call us at (720) 773-6099.
2. Tell us about your requirements and the make and model of your existing HVAC equipment.
3. One of our technicians will visit your home to install the smart thermostat and show you how to use the device.
4. Once it’s set up, you’re now ready to experience the time and cost-saving benefits of using a smart thermostat!
Ultimate Heating & Cooling is a family-owned business working in the Denver Metro area for over 40 years, helping people just like you who want to make sure their energy systems are working efficiently.
We'll help you take the guesswork out of your energy system, so you feel confident about keeping your home comfortable and safe.
Our technicians are trained and equipped with the latest insights on home energy and efficiency. Working with us will give you the expert knowledge you need to maintain your home's energy system for years to come.